About me

About me

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Sew life with Sky has been a little crazy...

So this summer I have been experiencing life with Sky, my nephew, in Fort Collins, Co. It has been absolutely beautiful here all summer and has been a lot cooler than Texas, that's for sure! It has been a busy summer watching my one year old nephew learn to walk, go up and down stairs, and talk. Recently, he learned that if he points at something myself or Tom, my brother in law, or Jess, my sister, will respond by saying the name or give it to him. He also loves light switches and his version of "off" and "on" has become "osh" and "ot" (lol). One thing I have learned this summer is patience, and that I might seriously reconsider being a stay at home mom. Some days we go for walks or go to the store but most days we stay inside. There are a lot of things to go do I am sure I haven't taken advantage of, but sometimes I go crazy being at home with my nephew who can't talk to me yet. God has certainly been using this time to show me patience, and how to love someone. Sky has been a blessing to watch grow up even in just a short one and half months that I have been here. I recently broke out my camera to see if I could start figuring out how to take some quality pictures on an older DSLR that my dad gave me last year. If anyone has any suggestions as to the best way to learn how to take quality pictures, I would love them! Keep in mind this is more so for capturing my own work, more than wanting to enter into the photography business, because let's be real there's enough people doing that already that will be far better than me, and with much nicer cameras!






On top of watching my newphew, I have been helping my sister and her husband set up their new house! I made them these curtains for their kitchen windows. They were pretty easy to do but just a lot of fabric to gather for the ruffles on top! I'm going to start looking for a ruffling foot soon to help out with things like this! 




 Lastly, I decided to make a few dresses this summer using my pattern making skills! Needless to say I think that It's probably a good thing that I brushed up on these skills before school started. I made this dress to wear for sorority events in the fall like meetings and other events we have! It was pretty simple once I got the fit to be perfect with the like 6 muslins I made. I plan to add a bow on the back to sit at the waist line to just add another dimension to this simple dress. Although there are a few things on this dress I messed up on, it turned out great and I hope to post more pictures of me in it when I am not looking like a hot mess. 

 Look out for another post soon  of adventures with Justin while he was here in CO, with pictures of the dress I am making for my sister and another dress for me. These dresses will be for my dad's retirement ceremony in August! I also have a few samples that I have to do for class in the fall that I will post at some point. I will be heading back to Virginia to visit friends and dog-sit on Wednesday while my sister, nephew, and parents go to IOWA for Ragbrai! 

No comments:

Post a Comment